One of our most important goals on Marketing Made Simple TV is to deliver high quality audio and video. Here is information from Watchitoo and us.
Here are some general tips for guests on the show:
- Use an HD webcam. Logitech webcams with glass Carl Zeiss lenses are best. (We have loaners if needed.) Recent Apple products have HD webcams too.
- Put your webcam at eye level. (Don’t look down at a laptop webcam! Lift up the laptop to eye level.)
- Use the webcam software to zoom in. Your face should fill the screen. (We don’t wish to see your office.)
- Look into the webcam, smile and give short, punchy answers to questions.
Tips from Watchitoo, our show platform
Before your show
You can use this document to conduct a self-test of Watchitoo functionality in advance of your planned live stream date. Make sure you are in the same location you will be for the live stream (i.e. connected to the same internet network) and, ideally, using the same computer.
1) Connect to the internet using a hard-line (Ethernet) connection, not wireless, if at all possible.
2) Ensure that you have the most up to date Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.
3) Use one of the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher
- Firefox 3.6 or higher
- Chrome 5.0 or higher
- Safari 5.0 or higher
4) As long as your computer detects your webcam device, so can Watchitoo. Make sure your webcam is ready but not in use by any program. Check for programs that run in the background or automatically start with your computer, such as Skype. Quit or Sign Out of those programs.
5) Try accessing a Watchitoo meeting by going to http://watchitoo.com/show/wdi-225. Enter your e-mail and name to enter the meeting.
Click the big green “start your webcam” button on the top right side of the screen. Once the camera is detected you should see your live webcam feed in a small box on the upper right of the screen.
Confirm that you can see the files (several images, a PowerPoint and a video) that are shuffling on the “stage” (the part of the screen to the left of chat).
Post a few comments in the chat area by typing your comment in the chat box and pressing “enter.”
6) Check your download and upload speed by going to speedtest.net and clicking “Begin Test.” (Do not click “Start Now.”) You need at least 5mbps.
Download speed: _____mbps
Upload speed: _____mbps
7) Check for firewalls by going to http://connectiontestpage.watchitoo.com/, entering your name and organization and clicking “run all connection tests.” Wait until you see confirmation that tests are complete. A Watchitoo Account Manager will check the results.
Please send follow-up to Jeff Ogden (firstname.lastname@example.org), including:
1) Confirmation that you can access (and tested with) a hard-line (non-wireless) connection
2) Your upload and download speed
3) Confirmation that the connection test was completed
4) Any problems you encountered
This checklist is intended to help the interviewee ensure he or she is fully prepared for
Here are the 6 key factors in performance:
1. Bandwidth – this is the single most important factor. Please visit
www.speedtest.net and check. We need at least 5 Mbps upload and download. (Watchitoo says 2, but we prefer 5)
2. Webcam – a quality webcam is needed. Most laptops have built in webcams, but
even better are the new high definition webcams with Carl Zeiss (glass) lenses.
3. No background noise – store the kids, dogs, etc. which create background noise.
You want the set to be as quiet as we can make it.
4. B-Roll content – it is helpful to have information to share. For instance, we
always use the same introduction slide. Complete it and return. It is also good to
have a slide to answer the question “Where can our viewers learn more about
you and your company?” You can also use videos or images.
5. Background – look behind you to ensure your background is adequate.
Rearrange as needed.
6. Prepared discussions = the show works best when the host knows you and what
you want to focus on. Help him ask questions to draw out your answers.